In a few weeks, we are sitting under the Christmas tree, enjoying a great meal with friends and family. Unpacking all our Christmas presents and having a good time. The period before Christmas can be pretty stressful: buying all the Christmas presents, preparing the meals, sending the invitations, and deciding ‘what jewelry for Christmas to wear to look fabulous?’. Christmas is also the time to look beautiful, and feel confident wearing the right jewelry for Christmas.
When you get an official invitation for the party, most of the time the proper or wanted attire is mentioned. In this case, it is clear what the dress code is and you should adapt to the code. But in the invitation, it never says what the ‘dress code’ is for jewelry.
So this is your chance to outrage yourself with fancy, beautiful, elegant, and extraordinary striking pieces of jewelry to add to the official dress code. You want to be noticed and wear the right jewelry for Christmas, so now is your chance! The best thing to do to get an awesome feeling is to be beautiful and sparkle with Christmas!
More tips about what jewelry for Christmas to wear to an event with a special dress code can be found further down in this blog.
Tips on how to sparkle with the right jewelry for Christmas
Wear a loose outfit
There are some general tips to make your life more joyful while you stay within the dress code. Don’t wear any outfit that is too tight when you have a large Christmas dinner. Don’t wear anything pale or white when you are a person that gets the gravy all over the place except in your mouth. Wear a white dress when you don’t want to clean up after dinner, and you are sure that the host does not have any aprons. And last but not least, wear warm clothes when they plan for a walk before or after dinner. With these tips, I am sure that you sparkle with Christmas.
Find out what your hostess wears
When there is no dress code mentioned on the invitation, just adapt your outfit to the clothing that the hostess probably wears. Or try to find out whether the dinner is at a private home or a restaurant. In this case, you wear a more laid-back dress or a semi-formal one. A black dress is always the right choice. And when you make an impression on someone special, like your new mother-in-law, dress yourself a bit more conservatively. In this way, you look awesome with the right dress and jewelry for Christmas and you feel relaxed and stunning.
What jewelry for Christmas do you wear best?
My advice is not to buy any dress or skirt or special clothing for Christmas when you are sure that you don’t wear that outfit again. Maybe because it is only suitable for that party or you have to dress up and normally you don’t do that. The solution is to wear a not too outstanding outfit and add some stunning elegant pieces of jewelry for Christmas in matching colors. Or you wear one really ‘impossible not to notice’ necklace with matching studs. Nobody will recognize your outfit for a former occasion and you look gorgeous and sparkle with the right jewelry for Christmas.
When you have a family or friends that like to dress up for Christmas wear a black skirt or pants, with a one-color top. And add long earrings with an awesome necklace. Long earrings always look very elegant and that is what you want to accomplish for the party. Just take care that the earrings don’t end exactly near your jaw. Just above or below is the right length.
Christmas is a holiday, with a lot of lights and glamour. I advise you to join that glamorous feeling. Wear your diamond earrings or the ones made of rhinestone quartz. But also pieces of jewelry made of faceted gemstone beads look awesome. The facets catch the light and the light shines on your face and it gives a great effect.
Try to find out what jewelry for Christmas the hostess is wearing. She is the center and it is not polite to look more extravagant than she does. It is the same rule as not to wear a white dress at a wedding when you are not the bride. Give the hostess the honor to be the best dressed and bejeweled woman at the party. But make sure, that you are the second best!
When it is rather cold with Christmas and you are a bit cold-blooded like I am. Take a shawl with you that matches your outfit. With a beautiful brooch, you pin the two parts of the shawl together on one of your shoulders and you look great. Besides that, your hands are free to have a lovely dinner.
Here are some tips for the right jewelry going to an event with a dress code:
Name dress code: Smart Casual
- Requested outfit: Dress pants or pencil skirt, with a silk or button-down top, high heels
- Specific occasion: Business lunch, happy hours, office party
- Recommended jewelry: subtle styled and colored necklace with matching earrings. Preferably the same color as the outfit or one shade darker. Or one exclusive brooch with matching studs.
Name dress code: Dressy Casual
- Requested outfit: Silk pants, dress pants, or a skirt (no denim, tennis shoes, or T-shirts)
- Specific occasion: Dinner, church, invitation received by phone or email
- Recommended jewelry: Exclusive necklace with matching long earrings and bracelet(s). The colors of the jewelry should be the same as the outfit or a matching shade.
Name dress code: Country Club Casual
- Requested outfit: Open neck or polo shirt, dress or skirt with minimal accessories
- Specific occasion: Restaurant, friend’s home for dinner, country club, cruise
- Recommended jewelry: Colorful necklace with matching earrings, not too large.
Name dress code: Business Casual
- Requested outfit: Skirt or dress pants, long or ¾ sleeve
- Specific occasion: Daily work attire, business lunch, or company party
- Recommended jewelry: you can wear stylish colorful pieces of jewelry, like long earrings with a matching elegant necklace. Or a larger necklace with studs.
Name dress code: Cocktail Attire
- Requested outfit: Black dress, shorter dress
- Specific occasion: Birthday party, social event in the evening
- Recommended jewelry: Statement necklace in a noticeable color, with small earrings and no bracelet(s). Keep the jewelry stylish and elegant, but exceptionally designed.
Name dress code: Lounge
- Requested outfit: Dress that falls on or slightly above the knee, with a jacket or shawl to cover the arms
- Specific occasion: Daytime engagement party, afternoon tea, business breakfast
- Recommended jewelry: wear colorful pieces of jewelry. Keep the jewelry stylish and elegant, but exceptionally designed.
Name dress code: White Tie
- Requested outfit: Long ball gown (floor-length), long gloves, up-do hairstyle
- Specific occasion: Wedding, opera, charity fundraising, official ceremonies
- Recommended jewelry: Add one or two pieces of really beautiful, somewhat larger pieces of jewelry. This might be long faceted earrings with a matching necklace or a large necklace with matching faceted studs. When your gown is sleeveless a matching bracelet will finish your appearance.
Name dress code: Black Tie
- Requested outfit: Long ball gown (floor-length) or dressy cocktail dress
- Specific occasion: Wedding, charity fundraising, political dinner party
- Recommended jewelry: wear stunning faceted jewelry, like diamonds, rhinestone quartz necklaces, and long matching earrings, and the size can be ‘large’. It is showing off time!
Name dress code: Warm Weather Black Tie
- Requested outfit: Long gown with white gloves
- Specific occasion: Formal outdoor event
- Recommended jewelry: small faceted studs and one bracelet worn over your gloves.
No lady wants to meet another lady wearing the same outfit, nor the same jewelry, no matter the occasion. So try to wear one-of-a-kind outfits and jewelry to look like the unique lady, you are. It does not have to be very expensive, you just have to look a bit harder!
As my father advised his clientele in his jewelry shop ‘don’t look like a Christmas tree’. Keep your outfit classy, stylish, and elegant. Don’t use too many colors on both ends of your body: black pants or skirt with a colorful classy top or the other way around. And choose one or two beautiful pieces of jewelry to complement your outfit and don’t wear your whole jewel box.
There are more types of parties to attend at Christmas time, like a gala party, an office party, or a National Ugly Sweater Party. Want to get some tips on what jewelry to wear on those occasions? Ask for the free e-book of FlorenceJewelshop ‘What jewelry to wear to a special occasion’. Just let me know to whom I can send it.
Hug Florence from FlorenceJewelshop